"What The Junk??"

27 June 2012

Hey y'all!!
I can't believe it has been almost a month since I have posted. 
I've been a little busy with work and church stuff.
Hmm, so I guess i'll do a quick recap of what I have been up to as of late.

Work is pretty much the same. Long days of cleaning.
I have climbed into far too many lockers, stoves, refrigerators, and other tight spaces for my liking.
(I'm not quite small enough for some of this...contrary to what many may say.)
I have to say that if it weren't for the people I work with I would absolutely positively hate my job.

Last Monday my mom (and her boyfriend) stopped into town and brought my futon and a tv for me. It is great to finally have furniture. (Not being able to get the remote to work the cable and having to settle for watching David Letterman's show for Gay Pride Week...not so much :/ )
After they left I made sure my bike was locked up and went inside to chill.
I came out the next morning (Tuesday) and my bike was gone.
Chain cut and thrown under the bush.
Not what I wanted to find at 6:30am when I had to be to work in 10mins.
However, yesterday (a week after it happened), Public Safety called and said they had my bike.
The police had found some guy riding it around town.
He picked it up off someone else for $15 for crying out loud.
It's good to have it back though.
Other than that things were not all that eventful until about last Thursday.
 But before getting into that I am going to share a little about the missions team at my church this summer.
North American Mission Board (NAMB) sends out Summer Mission Teams to churches throughout the country every summer. This summer my church, Journey Church, got sent one of these teams. There are 7 summer missionaries here, all college age. 
Two of them go to my school here in Illinois and the rest are from various other colleges and universities.
The 7 summer missionaries that we have here this summer are Andy, Malik, McKenzie, Kenan, Joel, Patrick, and Haley.
Andy and Malik are the two that go to school with me.
Most of the missionaries are from some part of Illinois with the exception of three.
Malik is from Maryland, Patrick is from Mississippi, and Haley is from Tennessee. 
The 7 of them are here at Journey to help out for the summer with various things.
As of late they have been going out into the community and going door to door giving out flyers promoting Journey and sharing what we are all about.

Friendship Festival 2012 (Bourbonnais, IL) Left to right: Andy, McKenzie, Patrick, Malik, Haley, Kenan, and Joel


The above picture is a group picture of the mission team.
This was right before we started walking in the Friendship Festival Parade.
Five of the guys, all except Patrick, had been practicing a bucket drum routine that they performed that morning in church and then while we were walking in the Parade.
They did a great job that morning at church as well as during the Parade!!
While the guys were doing their routine (part of the time walking the other part while riding on the float), we had several members of our church walking and passing out beads to kids and cards with our information to adults.
It was a great afternoon and one to be remembered for sure!!
Friendship Festival 2012- Getting ready to walk! (Me, Justine, and Haley)
 Here is another picture from the Parade. It is a bad one of me but the other two look good!

Ok, so now that I have shared a little bit about the mission team I will share a little bit of the last several days.

For anyone who has read my previous posts (which is probably no one...) then y'all know how bored I have been this summer. 
That has changed in large part because of the group pictured above, as well as other members of Journey Church.

This past week was the Friendship Festival (Wed. June 20th-Sun. June 24th).
I went a few times with this group.
Thursday night I went to the Festival with Andy and Malik.
A lady from church works at Great Clips and she had a booth so we stopped and talked to her for a while. Basically we just chilled there until the guys had band practice for Sunday morning.
We then went to band practice and I got to spend time with the most adorable little girl.
Her name is Cali and she is the daughter of our worship leader Nate and his wife Jill.
She is absolutely adorable and thanks to the guys makes a wide variety of animal noises by request. :)
We then went and spent the evening at Chad and Rachel's.
The next evening (Friday) we had a College Student...get together (??)...
We all met up at the church office and then went to the Festival.

Friendship Festival 2012- Back Row: Joel, Andy, Kenan, Emily (?), TJ, and me. Front Row: Derek, Haley, Malik, and McKenzie.

It was a great night!!
We had a couple of additions to the group before we left the Festival and headed to Steak N' Shake.

Steak N' Shake- Left: Haley, Jessica, Kenan, Andy, Justine, and me. Right: Erin (?), TJ, Joel, Malik, and McKenzie.

As you can see we are a decent sized group of college students (except for Emily...?).
(We have some lovely faces going on in this picture...lol)

Then Saturday I worked overtime. We had to turn over dorms for a camp that was coming for a day or two.
After work I went to the softball game. (Journey has a team and we play against other teams from the area. It is a fun outreach ministry and a great way to get to know each other!)
There was another missions group that came from another church to help out.
(I forgot where they came from.)
So we met them at the offices and helped finish bagging up the flyers for the guys to give out while going door to door.
Then dinner at Aurelio's.
Then the guys had to practice their bucket drumline routine and since I had nothing else to do I went with them and was their audience for the evening.

Sunday was a crazy busy day for all of us!
I had to be at church an hour earlier than usual in order to do nursery.
The guys had all been there for a while before I go there and were practicing their routine again.
After church we all went to Burger King to grab lunch and then headed out to BBCHS to get ready for the Parade!
We walked in the Parade for about an hour or so.
It was such a great way for us to reach out and be a part of the community!!!
(We also found out later on that we won the Director's Choice Award for out float and the church got a plaque and everything!!!)
After a crazy time of destroying the float and taking all the staples out of the trailer (which was graciously loaned to us for the afternoon from Jessica!!), we all headed back to Chad and Rachel's.
Little did we all know there was someone moving in next door.
We offered to help them finish moving their things in and they accepted.
So for the next hour or so the guys and I helped them unload their large moving truck.
We all pushed ourselves and I definitely went above and beyond my usual.
As we were helping them we got to talking to them and sharing about Journey and the missions team and everything.
When we got done we got a chance to introduce Mark and his family to Chad (Journey's pastor) and Rachel. We got a chance to share more about Journey and invite them to church.
It was such a great witnessing opportunity!! 
Who knew?!

We were all crazy tired and crashed in Chad and Rachel's living room for the rest of the evening.
Chad grilled up some hot dogs and sausage for dinner.
We all ended up watching The Ringer that evening.
(Joel can do a crazy good impression of one of the characters!!)

Overall the last several days have been crazy busy but I loved it!!

I also have to say that I think that God definitely used this past week to show me some things.
After all of it I feel like I am most definitely right at the place where God wants me to be for the summer, even if it is different to be here instead of at home.
God is doing big things in my life through Journey and through the mission team.
I could not have asked for a better summer.
God is showing me that sometimes the simplest of gestures can be the strongest witnessing opportunities that we can get.
Case in point when talking about helping Mark and his family move in.
How could we know that we would have that opportunity Sunday afternoon??
Yeah, we may have all been pushed beyond our limits both physically and in terms of our comfort zone, but look at how God used it!!!
His plan is far greater than ours and who knows what would have happened if we hadn't stepped out and offered to help them move all of their things into their house!
And I have to say personally that God has provided me an incredible group of friends for the summer, and hopefully longer, even when I didn't think I would meet anyone this summer.
I was not planning on all of this, but He is providing in more ways than I could have ever imagined!
These guys have been going out of their way to be chivalrous and to show that there are still guys out there who take it seriously and act on it.
I am not used to it at all and therefore it is weird for me, but at the same time it is incredible to be exposed to guys who want to go that extra step and open the car door, let me sit in the front seat, serve my food for me, or carry something for me (even when i'm obstinate about it...lol).
I was not expecting God to provide that kind of an example for me this summer, but I appreciate it.

(However, these guys are gonna have me all kinds of spoiled by the end of the summer!!)

(And if you guys read this...Thank you for being an example of what true gentlemen should act like! It is greatly appreciated even if I nag you about it!! I have never seen guys treat girls/women with the respect that you all do. You're all pretty amazing guys and i'm lucky to know you all!!)

Well, there ya have it!
A quick (sorta....) recap of my life as of late!
There is much more I could share but I will leave it at that.

God keeps surprising me daily and I am excited to see what is going to happen in the coming weeks and months of the summer!!! :)


***All pictures in this post are courtesy of the lovely Haley Richards, member of the NAMB Summer Mission Team***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric