Christmas Cocoa Date

18 December 2014

As much as I love coffee and would normally go for a coffee date any day of the week, today I am inviting you to join me for a hot cocoa date. I am asking you to join me in my tiny apartment for a cup of steaming cocoa and a talk about life.
If we were on a cocoa date I would welcome you into the warmth of my tiny on-campus apartment. We would head to kitchen where I have hot water ready in the coffee pot. There is a selection of hot cocoa choices...regular, the kind with mini marshmallows, and my personal favorite, dark chocolate. A selection of toppings and extras over to the side...Peppermint Mocha creamer, mini candy canes, mini chocolate chips, various kinds of marshmallows.

If we were on a cocoa date we would grab our steaming cups, a couple of blankets and curl up on the couches. We would talk about the basics of life, leisurely covering all the topics of small talk.

If we were on a cocoa date I would share with you how I am stressing over everything that needs to happen in the coming semester to prepare for life after my first graduation. I would share how I am worried that somehow I will forget to fill out some form, pay some bill, or cover a base. 

If we were on a cocoa date I would tell you how the 'planner' side of me is desperately needing some sort of set plan for the future, a set direction for where I am going next with my life.

If we were on a cocoa date I would share with you my deep want for some sense of consistency, permanency. How I just want to know that things can't just be uprooted any minute without care or worry.

If we were on a cocoa date I would share with you how I wish I could afford to visit all of my friends and family throughout the country, but unfortunately I am unable to take the time or money to do so. I wish I could take a weekend trip to Nebraska to visit my bestfriend, a trip to Ferguson to see family, even a brief trip up to the north east to exchange Christmas presents. 

If we were on a cocoa date I would tell you that although I wish there was someone in the apartment with me to talk to, I am enjoying time to just sit around without any sort of set schedule. I am loving the time to casually watch movies, read a book or two, catch up on some sleep, and get work done without rushing through it.

If we were on a cocoa date I would tell you how I am excited and nervous about how I am to be starting a new job at Fortin Villa in a couple of weeks. It will count as my internship and hopefully provide me with a secure job for a while down the road.

If we were on a cocoa date I would tell you how I am looking forward to seeing my former roommate and beautiful, wonderful friend Jessica get married to her best friend, Phil, on Saturday. I am looking forward to celebrating this special day with them as they start this new chapter of their lives together.

When we are done with our cocoa and done talking I would give you a hug and thank you for sharing some time with me. I would hand you a plate of cookies to take with you as you head out the door to go home. I would thank you one more time as I walk you out. As I walk back in and close the door, I would thank God for giving me friends like you to share life with. 

I look forward to sharing another cocoa or coffee date with you in the future.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric